When a death occurs

...at home

The first person to contact is your doctor (or the doctor on duty) who will certify that the death has taken place and, if he or she is able, will issue a Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death (Death Certificate). However, if the death is unexpected, the doctor may refer the matter to the Coroner. In this event, we would be able to advise you on what happens next.

...in hospital

The nursing staff or relevant officer will inform the next of kin and will also advise when and from where to collect the Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death (Death Certificate).

...away from home or abroad

Regulations and procedures can be confusing. Please contact us in the first instance so that we can advise you fully. In any event, most families prefer that the deceased is conveyed to the funeral director's chapel of rest at an early stage. This can be arranged at any time of day or night by telephone.


Firstly, in terms of registration, a death must be registered by law in the district within which the death occurs. We can advise you of the whereabouts of the relevant office (Gloucestershire Registration Service) and can assist with transport and the times the Registrar is in attendance. Under normal circumstances, the death certificate should be taken to the Registrar with, if possible, the deceased's medical card..

Who can register a death?

  • Any relative of the deceased
  • Any person present at death
  • The occupier of the house where the death occurs
  • The person arranging the funeral

The procedure for registering a death is a simple interview with the Registrar who will require the following information:

  • Date and place of birth and death
  • The full name of the deceased
  • Home address of the deceased
  • The marital status of the deceased
  • The occupation (if any) of the deceased
  • If the deceased is female, her maiden name and her husband's full name and occupation.

The Registrar will issue a green certificate which should be handed to us as soon as possible.

Copies of the entry of death (often known as the death certificate) may be obtained from the registrar upon the payment of the appropriate fee and will be required for insurance purposes, probate, bank accounts, private pension schemes, national savings certificates, Premium Bonds and so on.

The Registrar will also supply a form to be completed and sent to the Department of Work and Pensions.